Reviews

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Review | "Sweet Evil" by Wendy Higgins

This is yet another late review over a book that I read months ago, but aside from wanting to review it anyway, I had a much different opinion than more people after finishing this book and wanted to share my thoughts.
Before I get into those thoughts, though, here is the book's Goodreads description:

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)Embrace the Forbidden
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns? 


I first heard about this book just as it was coming out a few years ago, but never got around to ordering it, and eventually it slipped to the back of my mind. It wasn't until after the second book came out that I really started to hear things about the trilogy. A lot of people loved it, some people considered the series a "guilty pleasure" others said it was surprisingly "steamy" for a young adult novel, but over all, everyone seemed to enjoy the story. The books themselves are relatively inexpensive, and after months of debate, I finally ordered the first book to give the series a try.
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. 
Now, that doesn't mean I hated it. I gave the book three stars and didn't give up on the book halfway through, but I also donated it as soon as I finished and removed the other two books from my to-read shelf. 
I had quite a few issues with the book, so I'll try to keep them as concise as possible, though there will be some spoilers. Nothing extreme, but some details:
Anna was a bland character for me. Her personality was described in a way that read very much like a filler character, which is not good if you consider that she is the narrator of the story. She also doesn't make the wisest decisions about self preservation (she goes running in a strange place all alone).
The dialogue was forced and didn't always fit with the plot (example: at one point Anna says something about making a lot of bad decisions when the amount of bad decisions is three. Now, three bad decisions isn't great, I suppose, but it's not "a lot" if you take into account what those decisions are and the character's apparent lack of getting in trouble her whole life etc.).
Kaiden came across less like a suave Casanova character and more like a leery creep. 
The love scenes are written in a very choppy manner that made the the equivalent of cinematic shaky cam scenes. This probably doesn't bother everyone, but it's something that gives me a headache to make sense out of.
The book pushes the  "He didn't take advantage of me when he could have, so clearly I'm in love with him and he's perfect" ideal which is tiring. I realize Kai is half lust demon, so it's probably extremely difficult for him not to do so in the book's world (which is shaky justification, but I'll let it slide), but he wasn't being prince charming, he was being a decent human being.
The character Scott apparently has a reputation for being a creep who likes slip girls drugs to take advantage of them, however, that doesn't fit with how long rumors went around about Anna. By the time the next year rolled in, the school should have been talking about Scott and another girl, not Scott and Anna and what happened at the beginning of summer party.
There is some word redundance.
The book, for me, started out not great and made its way to almost good by the end, however that wasn't enough to make me want to buy the other books. Perhaps I'll finish the trilogy one day, but it will definitely be a "borrow" series for me, and not a "must purchase".

No comments:

Post a Comment