Reviews

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Review | "The Pirate's Wish" by Cassandra Rose Clarke

This week's review is over the sequel to "The Assassin's Curse" (Review here) so obviously there will be spoilers for the first book if you haven't already read it (though the book's synopsis kind of spoils itself). If you're read my review over the first book, you'll know that I was a little let down. I had bought both the books because the publishing company closed recently, making them more difficult to find- usually I only buy the first book in a series to see if I like it before purchasing the others, but because there won't be any reprints, I decided to purchase both the duology together. However, I didn't really enjoy the characters or the storyline, so I wasn't too excited going into the second book.
I wish I could say it was a pleasant surprise and that I loved "The Pirate's wish", but I didn't. I didn't dislike it, but I wouldn't have missed out on much had I not purchased it to begin with,
Before I go any further into my thoughts, here's the book's Goodreads description:

15714476 After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach.

Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies — and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.


The first thing I noticed that stuck out to me enough for me to take note of it was the phoned in love triangle/amorous drama. When characters aren't in a relationship and haven't discussed their feelings (which is a plot tool I don't buy with this storyline when the two main characters can read each other's thoughts and Ananna is a loud mouth in every other aspect of her life) I can't get behind throwing in a love triangle unless it pushes the story. It didn't add the intended tension, it just felt thrown in.
The pirates are far too judgmental of physical disfigurations. I mean, they're pirates! I'm sure plenty of them have some physical attributes that aren't exactly considered the norm. 
Much like in the first book, most of the drama and conflict is resolved too quickly for it to add anything to the plot making it all unnecessary and tedious to consider reading about. I kept wanting the conflict to go on longer so it would bring another dynamic to the story, so it would make me feel something, but it never did. 
The ending , while not getting into spoilers, seemed like it was written under a deadline and thus wasn't elaborated enough for it to make sense and not seem rushed and thrown together.

In the end, if you liked the first book, you'll probably like this one, but if you didn't care for it, then this isn't a necessary read by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment